Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Just the tip of the iceberg

The word "technolust" was used. I like that word. I think I have it. It kind of sounds like a bad thing though.
Libraries are the hub of information. If there is technolust going on out there in the world, then the library needs to know.
I recently heard someone making a statement regarding the gaming devices that can be checked out...and "how is that a good for our kids". I like the idea that kids have a safe place to go and hang out....imagine while a kid is waiting for his turn on the Nintendo he sees a book on Neurological Biochemistry, checks it out, reads it , finds a cure for ...eh....brain stuff...and then wins the Nobel prize for science. All before he is even 18!!!
Libraries are about community.....community-world wide web.....I totally see the connection.

There was a 'chilling' sentence I read in the "Ice Bergs" article (d'oh..that one was bad)... It was in the paragraph about the "just in case" collections:
In my library, we’ve seen a 55 percent drop in circulation rates over the past twelve years, making it harder and harder to justify the continued buildup of a large “just in case” print collection.
Yikes....I like my computer...but there is nothing like curling up with a book.

No comments: